How To Pack For A Move
Packing Tips for Your Move
Every day is moving day for Atlas. When your family wishes to go new places, we are ready with the know-how to move you safely and easily. Atlas packers and movers bring proven skills and best practices to ensure your belongings travel safely. We are pleased to share our techniques with you here, along with packing tips on how you can prepare for your best move.
The most important thing you should know about packing...
Improper packing is the most common cause of breakage and damage during moving. Simply stated – there are items the pros should pack, there are things you can pack, and there are things you should pack yourself. Plus, there are perishable and hazardous items that can't be moved (see non-allowable items here).
Trust Atlas professionals for the right materials.
Before you pack, you'll need the right materials in the proper amounts. Atlas packers and movers know which packing materials, such as packing boxes, and techniques are right for every item. Atlas recommends you use the same professional grade materials we do. These include double- and triple-cell constructed cartons, cushioning wraps, and packing tape (see the complete list below). Atlas can provide everything at affordable prices; just ask your Atlas Account Representative what you need.
No matter where you get your packing materials, follow these pointers.
- Use only strong, corrugated cartons with tops or flaps that fold shut.
- Packing boxes discarded by your local grocery store can save you money, but make sure they are clean.
- If you use old newspapers for packing, be aware the ink may rub off and stain items. We recommend blank newspaper.
These things will also come in handy:
- Plastic bags for parts; labels for identification.
- Foam peanuts, Styrofoam pellets or air-popped popcorn for filling spaces in cartons.
- Tissue and kraft paper for wrapping items.
- Corrugated paper rolls for figurines and fragile pieces.
- Heavy-duty packaging tape (1.5 to 2 inches wide) for sealing cartons. Do not use duct tape or masking tape.
- Markers and labels for identifying contents of cartons.
- Notebook and pencil for logging cartons.
- Scissors, sharp knife, or both.
Atlas inspects items before they go onto the truck. We want to ensure everything has the proper protection for safe transport. So, if your Atlas Professional Van Operator or a crew member asks you to repack something, it's because we are looking out for your best interests. If you prefer, we will repack the item for a modest charge.
We ask that you pack high-value items in the presence of your Atlas Professional Van Operator or packing crew, so we can identify these items and write them on the inventory. If you prefer, your Atlas crew will, for a fee, pack any item to ensure it is properly protected. By the same token, your Atlas Agent can make a custom carton for anything you wish. For your special and valuable items, this added protection can be a wise investment.
Note: Some things, such as grandfather clocks and hot tubs, require special preparation. Although Atlas does not prepare these items, we can recommend a reputable provider.