Moving House Plants

You've worked hard to cultivate healthy house plants. And you want them to arrive that way at your new home. As you prepare to go new places with King's Transfer Van Lines Calgary and  Atlas, use these tips on how to move plants. If you have questions, ask your Atlas Account Representative. We want your move to be a complete success.

When moving plants across country...

Transport house plants in a temperature-controlled environment, such as your car. Atlas does not transport perishable items over long distances; extreme temperatures and lack of fresh air in a moving van can be fatal. However, for distances under 150 miles and trip times shorter than 8 hours, Atlas may offer service. Talk to your Atlas Account Representative about the best option for your plants.

When your Atlas Account Representative conducts the moving survey in your home, let him or her know you intend to take your plants. Atlas offers affordable packing materials for plants, and your representative can explain what you need.

If you have questions about caring for specific types of plants, see the chart below for tips on the ten most common house plants. You can also find answers on these websites: Department of AgricultureNational Gardening AssociationBetter Homes & Gardens, and Texas A&M Horticulture

Video: How to Move Plants

What you should know about state regulations.

USDA requires an inspection and certificate when you move from a state infested with the gypsy moth to a non-infested state. The inspection applies to all common outdoor items that may carry the gypsy moth. You can perform the inspection yourself or hire a USDA-certified pesticide applicator to do it. Your Atlas Professional Van Operator will keep the certificate during the move and be ready to present it at any time. Download and read this booklet to learn how you can comply with the law and keep your move free of gypsy moths. 

Some states regulate the transportation of certain plants; California, Arizona and Florida are known for especially rigid restrictions. Check with your state's department of natural resources to learn what you should know before you move plants to another state.

Most states require plants coming in to be grown indoors in sterilized potting soil. You can purchase sterilized soil at your local lawn and garden shop. The labels will show you which mix contains the loam, peat, or sand your plants need.

If you cannot take your potted plants, consider cuttings. Wrap the cuttings in wet moss and newspaper and place them in unsealed bags. Place the bags in a carton and fill in around them with light packing material. Cuttings can survive several days of travel and take root when potted at your new home.