How To Make A Moving Tax Deduction

Here's some welcome information for when you go new places in your career. If your job requires you to move, you may be entitled to a moving expenses tax deduction. Federal Tax Form 3903 explains in detail how you can qualify. In brief, tax deductible moving expenses must meet three conditions:

  1. You incurred the moving expenses within one year from the date you first report to work.
  2. Your new workplace is at least 50 miles farther from your previous home than your prior workplace was.
  3. You work full-time for an employer in the general vicinity of the new job location for 39 weeks during the 12 months right after your move. If you are self-employed, you must also work at least 78 weeks during the 24 months right after your move.

If you do not satisfy the work requirements by the filing deadline, you may still get the moving expense tax deduction if you expect to meet the requirements in the next tax year. If you claim the tax deduction but fail to satisfy the requirements—you will need to report the amount as income in the next tax year (or amend your prior return).

If you are moving to another country, or if you are a member of the military, talk to a professional tax advisor about exceptions that may affect you.