It's moving time, and you're wondering what to do and where to get started. Here are some useful tips to help you get organized and make your move as straightforward and stress-free as possible.
First things first, you'll want to contact Kings Transfer Van Lines Calgary to request an estimate our relocation experts will assess your moving needs, address any pre-move concerns and answer all your questions. We'll provide you with a free, no-obligation estimate for your move within Calgary, packing/unpacking services, transit protection coverage, and storage if required.
The more prepared you are for your move, the faster it will be. Here are some moving tips to keep you organized for your move.
- Stay away from the end of the month (particularly June, July, and August) if possible. If you must move at a month end, make your moving arrangements 6-8 weeks prior to moving date.
- Never plan to move in on your "closing" day.Sometimes there are delays in the closing or the former owners may be later moving out.
- Go through your home from top to bottom before our moving consultant comes to do their survey. Decide what is being moved and what will be sold or discarded.
- If you are doing some/all of your own packing, arrange to get started well in advance of the move. Packing can be much harder and time-consuming than people expect, check out our how to pack boxes section.
- If you are doing some/all of your own packing arrange to purchase cartons and other packing supplies prior to starting. They are available at a nominal cost and are much stronger than discarded cartons from the grocery store.
- Dispose of all flammables such as cleaning fluids and flammable cans. Check out our list of "non-admissable" items.
- Use up food from your freezer and pantry. Clean your freezer and pantry 24-48 hours prior to your move to give these appliances time to properly dry. Put a charcoal filter or baking soda fridge pack inside to keep the appliance fresh. Leave lids and doors open until they dry. Our movers offer to pick up the unwanted, non-perishable food items and deliver it to our local food bank.
- Make sure ou have/obtain a written appraisal for antiques, high-value artwork, etc. to verify their value prior to the move. Provide a copy to your Kings Transfer Van Lines moving consultant.
- Appliances like washers and items like grandfather clocks need special servicing before and after the move. Make arrangements with a licensed person or ask us to make arrangements for you.
- Movers do not remove items affixed to ceilings and walls. Remove drapery tracks, curtain rods, blinds or other such items before the movers arrive.
- You can leave lightweight items in dresser drawers but do not put books, linens or other heavy items in them. Be sure to remove valuables like jewelry and fragile items.
A few things you can do to cut down on the move time are:
- Disassemble beds at your current location and re-assemble them at your new home
- Take apart bookcases or any items that require disassembly prior to the move
- Have items like lampshades, lamp bases, small prints, and glass shelving packed/wrapped
- Roll area rugs and tape them in 2-3 places depending on the size